Overall view of X-Road system and components
Client can be service consumer or service provider.
Service consumer is an institution or organization that uses services provided by service providers.
Service provider is a database/information system that is providing predefined web services through x-road infrastructure
Security Servers is a component of X-Road which should be installed, hosted, and managed in the service provider network. As an alternative, Security Server can be provided as a managed access service to X-Road.
- Security Servers implement a security gateways for web-services. All web-service requests and responses are digitally signed, timestamped, encrypted and archived by security servers.
- Security Servers implement organizational level access control for web-services.
- Security Servers encapsulate all of the complexity of highly available PKI-based infrastructures and provide developers with transparently secured inter-organizational web services.
- Security Servers provide meta-services for discovering the structure of the infrastructure, including organizations and services
Central server / X-road centre
X-Road Centre is an organization that creates and maintains an X-Road infrastructure instance and offers services to end-users
- trusted third party services: certification of security servers, management of secure directory infrastructure,
- tamper-proof log service for security servers
- monitoring service – health monitoring of security servers, provides warnings to system administrators in case of error conditions
- e-service usage monitoring – for statistical purposes usage monitoring for detection of suspicious activities (such as unwarranted queries to collect confidential information)
Certification Authority / PKI services
Certification Authority offers standard certifications services:
- Issues certificates for digital signature and for web servers
- Offers certificate validity checking service using OCSP protocol
- Offers time-stamping service using RFC 3161 protocol
Security Server installation
In order to join X-Road network as a service provider or/and client you need to install, host and manage security server. Follow country specific guidelines how to proceed with this installation.
- Joining X-tee v6 development environment (In Estonia)
- Joining palveluväylä development environment (In Finland)
Once you've completed the installation you can hop onto examples to see how to write client / provider component.